A Network of Neighbors Helping Neighbors
What would it be like to live in a community where you knew your neighbors (even if they lived miles away) and could count on them to be there for you when times were tough?
In today’s world, this is often missing for many communities. Houses are often far apart, and busy lives make it difficult for people to get to know those who live nearby.
The Highland Community in Medina County, Ohio has come up with a solution to this problem. It is called the Highland Community Support Network (HCSN) which uses technology to bring the needs of the community to the people who can help.
HOW DOES HCSN WORK?
- Members belong to an email list serve where they receive emails from the other members
- Needs in the community are posted to Sign up Genius.
- Members who can provide a donation or service signup on Signup Genius to do so.
- The Coordinator or designated members arrange for a collection point and deliver the donations or arrange for services to be performed.
HOW CAN HCSN HELP?
- School supplies
- Hot meals
- Adopt a Family (meal and gifts for the holidays)
- Assistance during a crisis such as fire, loss of a loved one, prolonged illness, or job loss
- Transportation assistance
- Referrals for free or reduced services available in the county